Do you keep the same holiday decor every year, or do you switch it up a bit?
I know that it can be pricy to change decorations from year to year, but I do like mixing it up … maybe because there are so many fun things to try. Red with lime green – metallics – magenta and white – bright colors like the old-school Christmas bulbs – so many fun things. But one style I have never quite gotten into was the snowflake – until now!
Maybe because in sunny CA the snowflake seemed downright silly, or maybe because they always looked a bit cheesy – you know the ones on the blue and white paper plates? But I think I am officially a convert.
The snowflakes on the Saks building inspired me, and I just couldn’t stop.
I found all kinds of great things for a winter wonderland in silver, pewter, grey, white, and cream.
There are lots of lovely ornaments that can be found at great prices, but you don’t have to stop at the tree. Gather bulbs in bowls, vases, apothecary jars, you name it!
For a bit of nostalgia, make the popsicle stick ornaments with silver glitter (or ask Mom for your old ones, I am sure she still has them).
What is great about these more muted colors, is they don’t have to be put away on the 26th. These things will still look great in January, even February. And the pillows, blankets, vases and jars can be out year ’round!
And these shapes and colors translate to a great table too…
Laser cut felt placemats really look like snowflakes, but you can make your own too! Just buy heavy felt from the fabric store and cut out patterns. Or even just cut bulk felt down to the ‘regular’ rectangle shape and these placemats will add a layer of warmth to the table during the cooler months.
For candles, smoky grey votives are a fun change, and these candlesticks would be the perfect addition. You can also buy tapers in grey for a updated take on the basic white.
Some grey napkins, pewter goblets and a few other accents and it’s all set – literally.
More holiday ideas in store all month, but in the meantime, what are your favorite holiday colors?
4. Crate & Barrel, Vintage Glitter Snowflake Ornament
5. Target, Apothecary Glass Jar
6. CB2, Shaggy Pillow in Gray
7. Crate & Barrel, Antique Grooved Onion Ornament
8. Crate & Barrel, Metal Ball Snowflake Ornament
9. Brocade Home, Gem Bottles – Charcoal
10. Crate & Barrel, 3-D Snowflake Ornaments
11. Save on Crafts, Clear Glass Ball Ornaments
12. Target, Silver Snowflake Cutouts
14. Crate & Barrel, Silver Swirl Balls
15. Ikea, Bästis Blanket
16. Crate & Barrel, Antiqued Glass Snowflake Candleholder
18. Target, Glass Silver Balls
19. Detaljoch Design, White Felt Placemat
20. Brocade Home, Glass Votives – Charcoal
21. Eddie Ross, Dyed Doilies (link to his website tutorial, not for sale)
23. Venucci, Felt Chrysanthemum Placemat
25. Venucci, Felt Day Dream Table Runner
27. Pottery Barn, Jeweled Snowflake Ornament
28. Match 1995, Pewter Goblet
29. Kim Seybert, Placemat, Napkins & Napkin Rings
31. Creative Candles, Elegant Taper in Paris Gray
33. CB2, Concept Napkin in Carbon